I recently wrapped up teacher training and it was probably one of the most amazing moments of my life. Hands down. My practice and confidence is on a level that I never knew existed and I carry that with me everywhere. Teacher training gave me the tools to live my life with gusto in every aspect of my life and I highly recommend yoga teacher training if you are passionate about spreading the good news of yoga. Here are my tips about signing up for teacher training and what to keep in mind throughout teacher training:
1. Sign up with a good intention, not a selfish one – “You teach yoga to give your yoga away.” That’s what one of my teachers constantly said and it’s so true.
2. Come prepared – Read your materials before you even start. See if you can even do any book reports in advance. Learn your sequence and your dialogue. The work is hard but worth it. Say your sequence and dialogue out loud not just reading it. All the time. I still say my dialogue and sequence while driving.
3. Listen- You are going to be learning from people whose experience is invaluable. Respect their time, ask questions and embrace their presence. Your teachers will become ingrained in you and you will have such a high respect for them.
4. Surround yourself with people who will make you a better teacher and who are just as passionate as you are. Seriously, it makes a world of difference. Anyone that holds you back in any way, I’d highly recommend avoiding them because they will not serve you and keep you in old habits and you are trying to make yourself a better person in teacher training. Teacher training changes you and in a profound and positive way.
5. Take care of yourself- Eat healthy, avoid constant and habitual use of any type of toxicants (they fog your perception and I promise drinking a beer will still be there after teacher training is done), get plenty of sleep, don’t forget to practice yoga, and know when to take a break.
6. Enjoy-This process is amazing and life changing. I’m still very sad that teacher training is over. I miss my kindred spirits that I met in teacher training.
7. Don’t stop furthering your education- All because the organizational set-up of teacher training is done, it does not mean you stop learning. Get more books, take workshops, etc.
These are my tips and I hope they help you if you are considering teacher training.